Health, PE, PDHPE
Music & Arts
References & Dictionaries
Browse all series
eLibrary (Years 7-12)
Find your consultant
Book a demo
The iconic Macquarie Dictionary series provides the most up-to-date and definitive record of Australian English available in the market today.
The iconic Macquarie Dictionary series is widely recognised as Australia’s National Dictionary. Written in a clear and easy-to-read style, which provides users of all levels with an accessible and useful resource. The latest editions have been complied with an updated computer database and new research to ensure relevancy – making the Macquarie Dictionary series the most up-to-date and definitive record of Australian English available in the market today.
This third edition of the best-selling Macquarie School Dictionary provides students with a fully updated, authoritative and user friendly guide to language, including both its traditional and contemporary usage. Entries have been selected from the Macquarie Dictionary database to meet the needs of students in the secondary school years.
This edition features:
• more than 19 000 colour headwords
• more than 32 000 definitions
• more than 1000 new entries, including headwords such as vodcasting, webzine, helicopter parenting and chick lit
• fully integrated thesaurus entries for almost 5000 definitions
• screened panels with notes on grammar and language conventions
• a simple re-spelling pronunciation system
• appendixes on spelling as well as other useful language references.
Macquarie School Dictionary — the ultimate language resource for secondary students to use within the new Australian curriculum
Get a BONUS Macquarie Compact Speller with every Macquarie School Dictionary!
The Macquarie Primary Dictionary has been fully revised for this new edition, using research undertaken for its parent, the respected Macquarie Dictionary, Australia’s own record of our language. As a primary dictionary, it is designed specifically to develop and consolidate the language acquisition of upper primary students.
Key features of the Macquarie Primary Dictionary include:
• more than 12 400 colour headwords with definitions in clear, natural language
• new words such as cyber safety, hashtag and welcome to country
• sample phrases and sentences to show words in context
• a simple re-spelling pronunciation guide
• Other words — synonyms within dictionary entries, particularly for overused words
• Word building, Word use and Word history entries, including Indigenous language origins
• shaded colour panels within the body of the dictionary for advice on punctuation and words often confused
• appendixes including grammar and spelling rules, Australia’s Prime Ministers, floral and faunal emblems, and other useful information.
The Macquarie Primary Dictionary is not just another dictionary. It is an essential reference tool in the Australian primary classroom. Its regular use will encourage young readers and writers to use, explore and enjoy the richness of our language.
Macquarie Primary Dictionary — the Australian dictionary designed for Australian primary students to use within the new Australian curriculum
Get a BONUS Macquarie Primary Thesaurus with every Macquarie Primary Dictionary!
This fifth edition of the Macquarie Pocket Dictionary belongs to the proud pedigree of the Macquarie Dictionary, widely recognised as Australia’s national dictionary. The highly successful Pocket draws on the same research and lexical database to create the most authoritative, up-to-date and definitive record of Australian English currently available in a pocket format.
Written in a clear and accessible style for a home, school and office audience, the Pocket contains:
• more than 50 000 headwords, phrases and run-on headwords
• more than 80 000 definitions
• more than 1000 new entries, such as acai berry, bae, cryptocurrency, eSport, keep cup and Mx
• more than 6000 encyclopedic entries, including new entries such as Brexit, Morrison, palawa kani and Rohingya
• extensive coverage of specialist categories, useful etymologies and illustrative phrases
• an easy-to-follow pronunciation system
• appendixes on grammar, punctuation and measurement, along with other useful reference lists.
Macquarie Pocket Dictionary — the up-to-date, authoritative guide to Australian English in a compact and durable format
Get a BONUS Macquarie Pocket Thesaurus with every Macquarie Pocket Dictionary!
Jacaranda Wiley is proud to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of Country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to their Elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.