If you’re moving to Jacaranda’s new eBook platform in 2017, learnON, you already know that you have a lot to look forward to. This is our biggest update since we launched eBookPLUS in 2008 so we couldn’t be more excited—new features not only create a better teaching experience for you, but importantly, improve learning outcomes for your students.
To help ensure a smooth start to 2017, here are a few easy steps you can take before school holidays to become familiar with your new eBook. We realise the end of the year is super busy, but with a new curriculum coming, it’s worth investing the time now so you can have confidence from Day 1 of Term 1 that your technology works as it’s supposed to.
Using learnON premium next year? Check out this blog post for tips to get started.
1) Understand how learnON can improve students’ learning
The beauty of this new digital learning platform is that it doesn’t require a change in your teaching style and approach. Rather, learnON continues to provide opportunities for teachers to implement flexible pedagogies including, but not limited to, a constructivist approach, a flipped classroom approach or a more traditional approach.
That means that no matter your personal preference, you can expect a more seamless teaching experience. Students learn and progress faster and further in their subject, so teachers spend less time going through homework and more time on the lesson at hand.
Specifically, here are some key changes you may notice:
Less guesswork – Reading content that fully integrates all theory and multimedia so everything appears exactly where it’s supposed to and there’s no guessing what students should do next.
Increased student engagement – A media-rich environment not only appeals to digital natives, but also helps to bring complex concepts to life. Discussion widgets encourage debate and collaboration in the classroom and activity boxes provide teachers with ready-made ideas that allow students to demonstrate creativity, thinking skills and teamwork.
Here are a few subject-specific examples that we’re particularly excited about:
In Geography and History: Flat images are now interactivities
In Math: No more calculator companion for Years 9-10 – worked examples showing calculator steps are built-in to the worked example
Greater student independence: New features such as answers and solutions, the ability to create notes and summaries, and visibility into their performance inspire student independence and greater accountability for their own learning.
Feedback to support early intervention: Auto-marked questions, answers and worked solutions or exemplary responses for every available question provide students with immediate feedback to help prevent the creation of misconceptions.
Opportunities for differentiation: Teacher resources including additional worksheets and interactivities are available from the Resources panel (no separate eGuide purchase is required!) to help with differentiation.
Time saved: Teachers save time marking work and reviewing homework in class thanks to questions that are automatically marked and greater built-in support for students, including answers, solutions and glossaries of key terms. Easy access to everything you need means less time spent searching and opening up different applications.
With these important benefits in mind, let’s see how you can prepare now to start the new school year off right.
2) Log in early to set yourself up for success
To help you make the most of this new digital learning platform, and ease the transition to your new eBook, we’ve compiled a handy checklist for the first time you access learnON. We recommend you do this before school holidays so you’re comfortable right from Day 1 of Term 1.
- Select the STUDY button to access the learning path (table of contents). If you’re familiar with eBookPLUS, this is the same as the Table of Contents and Resources side menu on the left hand side.
- Choose one of the topics to look at reading content. Notice how familiar it looks and everything is in the one place – videos, interactivities, worked examples, glossary, activities, and more.
- Go back to the learning path and select one of the Exercises to see a list of questions for that exercise. Select the far right arrow and then Try it to attempt the questions as a student. You’ll notice that every question has an answer and a worked solution or exemplary response for essay-type questions.
- Go back to the main menu and select the Resources section to find your quarantined teacher material.
That’s it! You’re almost there—last on the list is making sure you’re aware of the support options that are available.
3) Know where to get help
learnON is as easy to use as the current eBookPLUS but just in case you need help along the way, here are a few options to keep in mind:
- Click Help in the top navigation bar for access to walk-through tutorials (appearing as interactive tip-balloons overlaid on the screen) that guide you through specific tasks step-by-step and in real time
- Check out learnON articles on the Jacaranda Support portal, including:
- Contact our award-winning Customer Support team via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 1800 777 474
We hope the above steps are helpful! If you’re one of the many customers upgrading to learnON next year, let us know in the comments below if you have any additional questions on how to ensure a smooth transition.